USAA and American Express earned the top spots in the credit card sector of the 2013 Temkin Experience Ratings. At the other end of the spectrum, HSBC was the lowest rated credit card issuer for the third consecutive year. The average rating for credit cards places it tied at number nine out of 19 industries.
“USAA and American Express set the pace for customer experience in credit cards while HSBC is a real black sheep in the industry,” states Bruce Temkin, managing partner of Temkin Group.
The Temkin Experience Ratings evaluates three areas of customer experience: functional (can customers do what they want to do), accessible (how easy it is to work with the company), and emotional (how consumers feel about their interactions).
The ratings include 10 credit card companies: American Express, Bank of America, Capital One,Chase, Citigroup, Discover, HSBC, U.S. Bank, USAA, and Wells Fargo .
Here are some additional highlights from the ratings:
- USAA and American Express are tied at the top of the industry, ranked #89 across all industries with a Temkin Experience Rating of 70%. That represents a three-percentage point decline for USAA and an increase of two percentage points for American Express.
- The lowest-ranked credit card company is HSBC, earning a rating of 54%. It remains in last place for the third straight year after a two-point decrease between 2012 and 2013. The company also earned the lowest score for all three of the underlying components: functional, accessible, andemotional.
- Capital One was the only other credit card issuer to earn a “very poor” rating, earning the next to lowest score in the industry, 59%,
- American Express earned the top functional rating, Discover earned the top accessible rating, and USAA earned the top emotional rating.
- Citigroup showed the largest improvement, gaining eight percentage points between 2012 and 2013. The financial behemoth remains near the bottom of the industry, however, because of its very poor emotional rating.
- The average rating for the credit card industry increased from 61.5% in 2012 to 63.6% in 2013.
The report “2013 Temkin Experience Ratings” can be downloaded for free from the Temkin Group website,www.TemkinGroup.com.
About Temkin Group: Temkin Group is widely recognized as a leading customer experience research and consulting firm. Temkin Group combines customer experience thought leadership with a deep understanding of the dynamics of organizations to help accelerate results. The 2013 Temkin Experience Ratings along with other ratings can be accessed at the Temkin Ratings website, www.TemkinRatings.com.
Source PR Newswire